Friday, May 25, 2012

Even Indian Food Teaches Life Lessons

After having Indian food on the recent NY trip, I've been craving it this whole week. I know there is supposed to be this awesome Indian restaurant really close to work - Korma Sutra. Visiting work guests go there when they are in town and rave about it. The reviews online are always great. My coworkers have been there and proclaim it's goodness, yet we have never gone as a group in the last year I've worked here. Although I will go to many restaurants alone, I wasn't sure of my comfort with an Indian restaurant, so I've avoided it. But today I have tempted my coworkers into experiencing it's goodness with me. On a side note, I was slightly scared at how spicy the food might be and having to sit through the remainder of the work day. You know why.

So first off, the place is packed at 12:40 and would still be packed at 2 when we left. I mean line outside the door packed. This is a good sign. From the reviews, I know that this restaurant is supposed to be fun and have excellent service, but the 2nd one downtown is supposed to have slightly better food. We showed up during the lunch buffet, so I'm ok with whatever for $10. Every table gets water and this creamy mango drink immediately, which you normally have to pay for at other times. We go get food - basic normal Indian food looking stuff. The goat was sooo good and I got most of my second plate covered in the butter chicken. I will say, I didn't need to worry too much about the spiciness of the dishes. They were spicy, but you could really taste the flavors and the spice wasn't overwhelming to me. It was really tasty, and I'd go back for my next craving.

The owner is running around constantly passing out "happy chai" (omg, I need more and got a to-go cup of it), almondy or coconut milk icecream thing, and this naan sandwichy thing. When offered free stuff, the answer is almost always yes. While he's passing out this naan thing -about an 1/8 of inch of something that has the coloring of dried blood and obviously consisting mostly over spices between two pcs of naan- he tells some people "sweet naan" and others he tells "hot naan". It's the same basket, so one of these is a joke. This should have been my first clue. I thankfully didn't pop the whole slice in my mouth, but took a decent size nibble. At first I though, heh, this is boring and not much flavor. Then follows the "sweet mother, what the hell is this?What have you done?" sirens going off in my head. Burning, true physical pain radiates, so I swallow the remainder immediately. I down my previously untouched water, and look to my creamy mango drink. Maybe it's the acid of the mango, but it only burns more... that drink is a trick. I am sweating and my eyes are tearing up enough I'm thinking a tear will run down my cheek soon. My nose is running bad. I don't care how nice the cloth napkin is, my nose is about to start dripping. I wipe the sheen of sweat from my cheek bones and start eating my butter chicken, which was actually pretty spicy earlier, but is now cooling the current wildfire in my mouth. Coworker is laughing. I'd like to think of that naan thing now as "demon blood" naan, like someone went to hell, brought back a demon and is sitting in the back of the place tapping his fire-saturated vein especially for this thing. The manager blew up two balloons for me (to make me feel better, lol) and brought me more icecream, but he was laughing the whole time too.

It was kinda funny to watch when one of the guys at a neighboring table tore his up and mixed it in his friend's food when he stepped away. Guy tried hard, and was confused that his friends were eating the same plate as he was with no real affect. That thing is chocked full of capsacin or whatever. It was like covering your finger with Siracha sauce and sticking it your mouth - flames of many suns. What did I learn today? Re-learned that sometimes "free" comes with a price, and to always say "no" to demon blood naan.

No comments:

Post a Comment