Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Holiday Gift Giving

Since it's right before Christmas, I was thinking about Christmas Cards and all the gift giving going on.

#1. I always forget about Christmas cards and end up sending them in response to the ones I get. And that's on years when I can find my address book. I feel somewhat bad about this, but not really. Don't get me wrong, I like getting Christmas cards, but since the advent of Facebook, I really feel they are impersonal and unnecessary, except maybe if you're receiving them from your Grandma or someone else that isn't on Facebook. Why do I say this? Because all I get in, most, of my Christmas cards is a signature of the person who sent it. No note or anything. So basically, I just got a pretty picture in the mail that cost them $0.42(?) to send me. They probably could have just said "Merry Christmas!" on Facebook, and probably still will, and given it the same amount of thought. Ok, I appreciate that it's a tradition... but still. No one, ok hardly anyone, still roasts Chestnuts on an open fire... why? because it's hard and practically useless, but we all know it used to be a tradition, so why don't we do that too?? Or eat Figgy Pudding? or ride in a One Horse Open Sleigh? If it's not going to mean something, it's probably not worth the postage, that's all I'm saying.

That and I'd be happy to get out of this particular tradition and not get guilted into response cards every year.

There are exceptions to this. For example, one person took the time to address the card to a goofy nickname that made me lol thinking about the postman reading it. Totally worth the postage.


#2. Who am I obligated to exchange gifts with? I feel kind of out of the loop on this. I decided not to send my former-in-law nieces gifts this year because they're not longer my nieces technically. But I feel like I'm regretting this decision already. Should I have sent my mother and brother gifts even though I haven't talked to them in 6+ months? I feel kind of weird exchanging gifts with boy2, but he brought it up and I'm glad there's no ambiguity about it at least... I would have felt terrible if he had gotten me something and I didn't get him anything.

I'm definitely not exchanging with boy1 or any other boy I've talked to or dated recently. Thank goodness for that, the holidays are running me broke!

Is there a book on this stuff? I feel very socially awkward around the holidays....

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the holiday cards. I never send them, either, unless I'm writing one out to go with a gift that I've sent in the mail. Even then, I write a note! I hate it when people just sign them. What's the point? At least say "I miss you!" or something.

    I've bought fewer gifts this year than in any past year. I just stopped getting gifts for everyone, basically. It's too expensive, and we don't see anyone on Christmas anyway. The only gifts I give now (aside from my husband and child) are photo books chronicling the past year of my son's life. Those go to parents, grandparents, and some aunts.

    ReplyDelete