Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Self-Righteousness

I've got a healthy dose of this today. Perhaps spurred on by a nice therapy session last night, perhaps spurred on by this Reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/l0jr9/why_do_we_keep_supporting_the_idea_that_we_should/

I have very little tolerance for people that don't try to help themselves. I am fine with you if you're fine with yourself. But don't complain and b*tch to me about the stuff you hate about yourself and do nothing about it.

***Side note, if you are doing something about it, whatever that problem with yourself may be, you are exempt from this. You can complain to me all you want. Because I will bet money that the end of the conversation goes something like this: "But at least I'm doing something about it, I look forward to the day when I don't have this issue anymore!"

Don't worry, I like to b*tch and complain with the best of them, but if I can do something to change it, I will.

This is part of the reason my mother and I don't get along. She wants to complain to me for hours, but at the end of the day, she doesn't want to take any advice and do something to change her situation, she just wants to complain and stay unhappy. I'm pretty sure she thinks this gives her purpose in life.

So what do I recommend?

  • If you're fat and unhappy about it. Go on a diet and start exercising. It might not work (at first), but at least you'll know that you're trying to better yourself and you can go to a doctor with your results and see if there's a reason it doesn't work and what you can do about it.
  • If you're ugly and unhappy about it (I'd like to interject here and say that there are very few people in this world who are truly unfortunate looking), try on some new clothes, some new make-up, pay for an expensive haircut (this really makes a difference, trust me). Last resort: if you're still unhappy with yourself, get the plastic surgery. Who cares what the rest of the world thinks, if it makes you a happier person, do it!
  • If you're unhappy at work, either talk to your boss, or HR to try to do something to change the situation, or start looking into a change in jobs. Due to the economy, you might not get to change jobs, but at least you'll know you're trying to do something to change you're situation. Don't be Michael Bolton from Office Space.
  • If you're single and unhappy about it, get on dating websites or go out to bars. I don't care what your preference is for dating, but don't stay home and expect me to be sympathetic when you tell me how no one wants to date you. No one is meeting you!
  • If you're poor, get another job or get some education. There are a million loans and scholarships that you don't have to pay back until you've graduated. (I have a theory that if you stay in school forever, you never have to pay them.)
  • If you're lonely, get a pet and then go out and meet people!
  • If you're sad, make a plan. You might be sad now, but how are you going to fix it? From recent experiences, I recommend: Seeing a therapist of some sort, changing your environment (moving if you have to), going out a lot, dressing up and flirting, dating (maybe not seriously), good sex if you can get it.
  • If you're anxious (current situation for me at least), see a therapist, try to cut out from your life whatever is making you anxious, breathe (that one's important), exercise (this helps get out some of that nervous tension), distraction (books, movies, TV, Reddit).  ***Second side note for the day: I just discovered that it's possible to have a happy panic attack. Really just breathing might be the answer here... or typing on your blog if you have one. ;)
Through all this, you can realize that you're little bad habits and flaws are not that big of a deal. I have been trying to quit biting my nails for years. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I'm always trying new things to help myself along (most recently, taking Hair, Skin and Nail vitamin supplements!). Be pro-active, not a drain on society.

And yeah, sure, I make everything sound easy. It's not, it's damn hard. But everyone will have more respect for you trying, and guess what? You'll have more respect for yourself too.


No comments:

Post a Comment