Saturday, November 5, 2011

I want to write...

Because I feel angsty (of course), and yet, I've been getting glimpses of true happiness lately.

I didn't even realize how truly unhappy I've been (at this point, you're thinking... really?? You didn't notice??). I guess I'm just used to faking it till I feel it. But recently, there's been a time or two where I've felt that truly happy moment. Listening to music the other night, or appreciating the fall colors. And for a moment or two, it's not tinged with sadness, regret, or current relationship angst.

The only thing I can compare it to is like being in high school again. When I still had so much hope and idealism for the future. When I still thought the world was beautiful and life had the possibility of being a fairy tale.

It's like seeing the opening in the clouds... for a moment the sun shines through and then it's swept away again.

I want that feeling all the time, and I don't know if I can. It would be like the ability to go back in time. But I feel like it's available and out there, waiting for me to grab it. Do I have to go back to working at Renaissance Fairs, or in technical theater and admitting that I think LARPing might be pretty fun? (Also, I've always thought the SCA would be really awesome, though I've never tried it.)

Or can I just listen to some new age music and read a really intense fantasy novel. Imagining that elves really might exist, and if they didn't heroism and romance surely did and I would experience it some day.

I remember being angsty in high school. But I also remember being very sure that I would find true love in the future and that I would make a difference in the world. I had given up on making a difference because I thought I had true love. I was wrong. Could I still make a difference? I know I still have a chance at true love.

If I was going to make a difference, what would I do? I always thought I would love to write a fantasy or sci-fi novel. In fact, when I decided to get a degree in engineering, it was with the thought that maybe I would write an awesome video game or that I would have the expertise to write an awesome sci-fi novel.

Maybe I still can write that novel.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean - sometimes I fantasize about being J.K. Rowling. Weird.

    You already do make a difference, and I can tell you how this tale ends. Kim meets her no doubt about it Prince Charming and leaves her blog readers behind because she no longer needs to vent her insecurities. And when that happens, we will be happy for you.

    ReplyDelete