Wednesday, March 14, 2012

More than Soap

So part of the reason a weekend away was a good idea was to be away from my mother who happened to be midway through her two week vacation during all this. Her constant prying and chirpiness and telling me that whatever it is, if I pray it'll all work out. Uh huh, I was raised with that and while I'm not knocking anyone's beliefs here, I get a little irritated with that phrase of hers. Regardless, I'm still gonna be living through it and it doesn't always automatically get better with prayer, imo. Sorry if I offend anyone, I'm not trying to and if I am it probably means I'm not explaining my feelings on the subject very well.

So anyhow, I get home Sunday afternoon, watch an episode of Game of Thrones and then head upstairs to unpack my junk. 'Oh shit' moment occurs when I turn on my bedroom light. She has gone through my entire room and bathroom. I know she means well, but seriously?? I needed space and that somehow translated to 'please, go through every inch of the one private space I have'. I'm trying to be calm and I'm trying to think of everything in my room I wouldn't want my mother to find and hoping we leave any of such things as a 'no discuss' point. Then I have to shake off that feeling with a "well, you might find things you shouldn't, if you go through someone's bedroom."

I think I am ok until I can't find the soap in my bathroom. I love my mother; I really do. But where could the soap possibly have "needed" to go. I know from my childhood that this does not have to be a logical place, but I look anyway. Could she have put the soap in any of the vanity drawers? Nope. Would it have been placed somewhere in the great abyss closet outside the bathroom? Not that I can see, but I'm unsure really. Hmm, could it have been placed in the shower?? Nope, not there either. OMG, I'm about to lose it because I can't find soap! I mean seriously lose it, like this is all too much and something's gotta snap at some point. I am feeling like everything is spinning out of control. I lost a bf, who I hated, but still loved, then when I was working through that I managed to reunite him with his wife, who I foolishly stressed myself out more by meeting, nothing is where I left it in the comforting place of my own bedroom, and I can't find anything... including soap! I finally ask through many deep breaths where the soap went. I have to give a description... it's a pump bottle with a green lid and minty smelling. I am handed a green bar of soap from the abyss closet... more deep breaths. I am about to give up, when she's like, "is it the one downstairs in cabinet under the mudroom bathroom sink?" That's right, that's where the soap was... finding my soap made me want to cry.



2 comments:

  1. So..... why haven't you moved out? Maybe it's time.

    Also, I agree. Even if you strongly believe in God, I don't understand how people think just praying about something will help. It was always emphasized with me then I was little that God helped those who helped themselves (not that there's anything you can do here that you haven't already done). I just don't get people's logic here. Maybe that's my problem... assuming people have logic.

    So... I love apartment/house hunting... want help? ;)

    xoxoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the better toiletry stories I've read.

    I'm not one to defend praying but I certainly understand praying for strength and needing something to lean on. Not everyone is as strong as Kim. Praying for divine intervention on the other hand kind of has a 'world revolves around me' belief to it that I agree is not helpful.

    Anyway T, cry about soap today; but let tomorrow belong to you. You're young and have so much in front of you. Stay busy. Get involved.

    talk to you soon,
    J.

    ReplyDelete